Friday, October 07, 2005

Nanotechnology Impacts Music, but not the iPod Nano!

While sitting at a loud local concert in Ann Arbor last night, I couldn't help but wonder how nanotechnology will impact the music scene (maybe earplugs integrating nanotech would be a good start).

Established by the Blue Velvet Bar & Nightclub , nanosounds.com claims that they can control sound at the micro and nanoscale for high resolution music. This is the first time I have heard of any such attempt. On their site you can even listen to samples of their compositions. Also check out the Molecular Media Project. Next time I go to a concert, I will keep an eye out for a "nano-band."

Another way to make nanomusic is to learn how to play the nano-guitar. Harold Craighead and his graduate students have fabricated a nanoscale guitar. The strings can actually be "plucked" using an atomic force microscope. I guess I can get rid of my pick now.

However, the iPod nano uses no nanotechnology. Markerters seem more and more eager to throw the label "nano" on their products.

(photo from http://www.news.cornell.edu/science/July97/guitar.ltb.html)

No comments: